Monday, October 19, 2020

MONDAY, MONDAY






Monday, Monday…..




One finish knit, a pair of socks for Gus, Rainbow Socks as he calls them, ( they look funny in pic. but fit him and they make him happy).  I used left over yarn and I still have left over yarn!  Yarn, I believe like fabric scraps, reproduce in the bag. I try to use ‘left overs’ up and always end up with more ‘left overs’. Pondering this phenomenon is like pondering the Chicken and egg question, just put the scraps in a bag and walk away!


Second on the needles- is a pair of socks for my son who wears a 12-13 shoe..what am I thinking, except that he is knit worthy and I love him dearly.


Third, a sweater, Marcel for my husband. He picked out the yarn color from Harrisville Yarns. This yarn is lovely to knit with, feels like ‘real’ wool, a little sticky but not scratchy. The colors available from Harrisville are yummy. 


While I have been knitting, I have been watching:


Podcasts:

Stitched in Sweden- excellent. Covers both knitting and garment sewing.

Knitting By The Sea- excellent


Movies:

Chicago 7- very good with many parallels to politics we are seeing in 2020.


Chicago 7 is about the trial of 7 defendants vs the US government  and their right to engage in peaceful protest. The protest is during the 1968 Democratic National Convention that turned into a riot, in Grant Park, in front of the Conrad Hilton, where then Democratic nominee Hubert Humphrey and the entire DNC Headquarters were located. 

Crazy thing, I was there! Not a protester, but in the Conrad Hilton at the DNC headquarters. My Dad thought it would be great for his children to watch history in the making. Took us all down to the Hilton, where we met Mr. Humphrey, ( I sat on his lap…weird), and several other DNC mucky mucks. We were up on the roof of the Hilton watching the protest, very peaceful, when to our horror all hell broke out. I remember it being difficult to get out of the city and being very frighten that we were going to be hurt. It was one of the few times I ever saw my mother truly scared. Dad got us out of the city by driving down more alleys, zigzagging our way through the loop. It was a history lesson I have never forgotten.


Remember 

VOTE

 

5 comments:

Sarah said...

How amazing that you were there, as a child, for that historic moment!

I agree with you that scraps multiply when left unattended. I think skeins of sock yarn do the same!

Kym said...

OH, my! What a story! I was a 9-year-old, living not far from Chicago (in Rockford, IL) at the time. I remember being VERY afraid of the violence, and worried that it would head my way. I'm looking forward to watching the movie on Netflix! And . . . I hope you are doing okay with the fires. Thinking of you. . . XO

Bonny said...

Those are lovely projects and you are a good mother for knitting socks for your large-footed son. My sons both have size 13-14 feet and the first time one of them wore a hole in a handknit sock I just about cried!

That's amazing that your father thought his kids should see history and you were there! It's a history lesson that you certainly remember. This looks like another warm, dry, and windy week; I am thinking about you.

Mary said...

The never-ending supply of yarn reminds me of my favorite children's book (Extra Yarn https://smile.amazon.com/Extra-Yarn-Mac-Barnett/dp/0061953385/) ... I'm pretty sure knitting for others is a sure way to keep the yarn from running out. Thinking of you and sending all the best (wet) thoughts about the fires!

Juliann said...

I bookmarked Quilting by the Sea after you mentioned it. Good for the rainy day ahead.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)