Wednesday, October 21, 2020

CHICKENS and KNITTING




 




The week of October 19th thus far has been a slow week for me. 
We voted on Tuesday and have been checking on my ballot twice a day to see where it is in the system, no word that they have received it yet. I dropped it in the 'drop box' at the county building! As with many voters, I am anxious for this 'trump era' to end and get back to solving real problems that America has to address and now! 

Knitting: Marcel
 I am working up the right side of the cardigan. I know that once the body is done, I will be on sleeve island for awhile...ugh. 

I started this book last year but never finished it and I don't know why, it has certainly grabbed my attention  reading it this time. 

I loosely follow this recipe, using vinegar (not lemon juice), and more like 5-8 TBS. I use enough vinegar to get milk to curdle to cheese. Homemade ricotta is so much better than store bought, cheaper and you can freeze it.

Pictures of my daughters chickens and the littles carved pumpkins. 

Joining

12 comments:

Vera said...

Those pumpkins are so cute...as are the chickens! Thanks for the links...I just borrowed the book on Overdrive - it looks good. And ricotta - I never thought of making it!

Kym said...

I have never considered trying to make my own ricotta before -- but you may have just convinced me!
:-)

Sarah said...

I hope your ballot is processed very soon! At least you know it's in the place it needs to end up, even if they haven't checked it off just yet.

Juliann said...

Funny that there would be a chicken in your post after my chicken walk 😊. I have seen a few different people making cheese recently. I am in high gear looking for new food diversions.

Bonny said...

I love the chickens on the chair and homemade ricotta! I don't know why I never thought about making it myself, but I will be trying it this weekend and using it in lasagna.

steph said...

i'm anxious to start a 'real' project...that translate as a sweater. still looking for the perfect pattern...then the perfect yarn...and then it will be spring!!! story of my life.

Mary said...

Just read Juliann's post about a coyote making off with a chicken - I hope your daughter's are safe and sound (because I'm guessing there are plenty of coyote(s?) around you! and thank you for the tip about freezing homemade ricotta. This recipe (https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/12/roasted-grape-and-olive-crostini/) is standard fare for our holiday gatherings and it would be awesome to simply thaw the ricotta to enjoy a second round :-)

Jane said...

Homemade ricotta cheese sounds like an excellent idea. I am not a fan of the version in the store so I avoid recipes that call for it. When I make lasgna I sub with cottage cheese. It's nice you are so close to your grands. The sweater color is lovely.

AsKatKnits said...

Your chickens are so darling! :) And I just got on the waitlist for that book! Now I am more excited for it to be my turn! Thank you for voting!! (and joining us!

karen said...

cute chickens! I voted thru mail and I was glad to get an email that it was received! One less thing to fester about. Great knitting!!

Unknown said...

Love your chickens! They are quite handsome.
Why do sleeves take forever -- or at least feel that way?

steph said...

omg....those chickens on the chair! Funny. Great pumpkins, too. I, too, have finally settled on a sweater and sort of dread the sleeves, but, hey....it means you are on the final lap.

my ballot wasn't acknowledged until they started counting the mail-ins (even though, like you, I dropped it in front of the courthouse). We can't get through this election soon enough for me!!!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)