Friday, October 16, 2020

FIRE WEEK



above picture was taken over a week ago, last semi-smoke  free day for the next eight days.







Wednesday, Oct.15th. Cameron Peak fire exploded and moved quickly burning through 15 miles in a day. We had winds sustained in the mid-thirties and gusts 70+ MPH. 



Days like Wednesday are filled with anxiety. Friends up in Foothills that own homes, will those homes be there when this is all over? Nothing to do but wait and try to keep busy. I made beef bone broth, the broth I simmered for about 36 hours and then pressured canned my golden broth. It has been years since I have bought any bone broth, homemade is so much better with a real deep earthy taste. Also, it's a great way to use up dead end veggies. (that I throw in the freezer), and all the bones from meat we eat. Use it up or do without! 


Kids are playing in their new Halloween outfits! Since we will not be trick-or-treating this year, thought it would be fun to start a little celebration early this year. 

5 comments:

Bonny said...

I've been thinking about you over the past couple of days with this extreme fire behavior. New evacuations seem to come every time I turn around and Ryan is concerned. I think it would be hard not to be worried when you see the smoke shown in your photos. I'm glad to hear you're doing some worthwhile canning in the midst of it all. That fireman and unicorn are pretty darn cute. I hope you all stay safe!

Mary said...

that fire (s?) is beyond frightening. I take great comfort in YOU canning broth. and on another level the grands. Charlie wore a similar costume a few years back ... and Sam wants to wear it this year (well, at least he does today).

steph said...

What a scary time for you. Hoping this fire keeps its distance. Love that your little one has chosen to be a fireman. The real heroes. Stay safe.

Sarah said...

I find just looking at those photos to be scary, so I'm sure it's much scarier to be living in it. I hope you all stay safe! The kiddos look adorable -- especially that little firefighter. He's a real hero this year!

Juliann said...

This fire season has been a rough one. Hope everyone is okay. I have started adding all the ends of my veggies to a bag in the freezer to make vegetable broth. So much better than store bought.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)