Wednesday, February 3, 2021

DEAD OF WINTER---NOPE, NOT HERE


Altheda Sweater is coming along so well that I put it aside for the week. This is a wonderful knit, but I'm questioning the yarn choice. I bought this as a kit from Woolly Thistle and their yarn choice is Plotulopi,
a lovely and interesting yarn to work with but oh so WARM and our winter is more acutely described as 
Little Summer! I've decided this will be knitted with short sleeves, more like a vest and then I 'll wear one of those little fans around my neck as a necklace.


Deciding if I should put a border on thisHalf SquareTriangle quilt to 'square' it up. 
HST quilt was pieced together several years ago and this is my year to finish 12 UFO quilts. HST is the 3rd quilt, (quilts 1 and 2 here.) to be finished in 2021. I am finishing the easier least time consuming quilts first, over the summer I will (hopefully) be able to finish a few of the hand piecing quilts. Sure hope we will be able to camp this summer, I get a lot of quilting done on camping trips.


Antarktis Shawl, this will be the 5th  time I have knitted the Antarktis Shawl. I must admit that I now knit this shawl not as the pattern is written word for word. I have no idea the name of the yarn, I frogged it from a shawl I was knitting about 12 years ago. 


Saturday afternoon a little spinning group has formed, and I am over the moon with this group! So much to learn - not to mention bringing out my wheel after a LONG hiatus. I wasn't aware that the way I draft has a name, I'm a 'back drafter.' Thought that was important for you to know.


First skein completely done! Im really smitten with this skein of red merino.
Of course now I want to know all things spinning. I am watching every spinning class on Craftsy,
who knew, so much to learn and so fun! When I bought my wheel 35 years ago I was left to my own devices, with the exception of one friend who was a spinner and she learned from ONE friend. Not really a broad base of info! Plus, their wasn't a lot of info out there, you know the internet and all. Now I can't believe all the info I can get my hands on....almost overwhelming, though exciting.



Wish I had put that border on this HST quilt. Started machine quilting and I already have to re-pin the dang thing. Of course it needed a border to square up---2" inch squares cut on the bias means: 
MOVEMENT/STRETCH/PULL MY HAIR OUT
I can quilt this------ I'll just take more blood pressure meds and spin when I can't take it any longer!

 Please visit Kat today, lots of good stuff over there.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

The sweater is beautiful! Maybe it'll be something good to wear when you go to visit family in Chicago?

The red merino looks spectacular. I'm so glad we got our little spinning group together!

Nicky said...

Lovely projects but the spin project is my biased favourite. I'm not a fan of spinning straight merino, I find it best in blends but this is truly lovely! Good job.

Patty said...

You have so much talent! I love the sweater and I really love your little seamstress in the previous post!

Jane said...

The sweater looks pretty. The spinning is so pretty too. As for quilting, I used to worry about perfection in piecing. I don't quilt as much as I used to but when I do, I'm apt to be ruthless with a rotary cutter, squaring up edges.

Mary said...

My plutulopi sweater is short sleeved and I think it's perfect (and I'm thinking about holding some of the leftovers double to knit mittens ... mittens need to be REALLY warm, right?!) Also, looking forward to a "spinning report" on Sunday :-)

AsKatKnits said...

I love your red skein! Beautiful! (and yes, I just love this little spinning group so much!)

Your sweater is gorgeous and I think that sweater with short sleeves will be really beautiful!

karen said...

gosh! so many beautiful projects!! I love the sweater so much. I just finished a top down sweater that is 100%wool (not superwash) and it is WARM to wear :) Love the quilt too!

Mereknits said...

I am in project Heaven right now looking at all of your amazing projects. That sweater is so gorgeous. I have a wool sweater, I made it years ago. I spent more money on it than I ever had on any yarn before but I adored it. I still have it but like you it is way too warm here to make it. I think your sleeves and fan idea will work! Stay safe.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)