Wednesday, February 10, 2021

ALL THINGS SPINNING



100% Merino 


50% Merino 50% Alpaca
(on the wheel now)


Merino and Silk


 I am slightly obsessed with spinning at the moment. Every spare moment is spent at my wheel trying to perfect the consistency of the yarn I am trying to produce (spin.) It is a wonderful thing that I have so much fiber to practice on, mostly natural white merino. Any skeins that I like after spinning up the merino, I will dye, (another favorite 'thing' I love to do, but dying takes place in the summer.)
Spinning, I forgot, is meditative! Doing the same hand/feet movement over and over again is calming to my mind. Sometimes I spin in silence and other times I may watch a spinning class on Craftsy or a knitting podcast on You Tube, anything but news/TV. Life doesn't feel so out of control and angry at my wheel! 
The reading front in my life is....rather dry! I'm sure it's just a phase and hoping it passes soon. In the mean time, I'll be at the wheel!

11 comments:

Vera said...

Those fibers all look delicious! Spinning does seem as though it would be very meditative. Enjoy!!

Kym said...

As Not-A-Spinner, I love seeing how the fiber turns into the yarn! It's magical! And I can see how meditative it must be . . . once you master the basics. Lovely!

Sarah said...

That meditative quality of spinning is one reason I love it so much -- and probably also why I did so much of it at the beginning of the pandemic!

Steph said...

your spinning is beautiful....and i guess i appreciate those of you who spin so much because i've tried and found myself not a spinner. i must admit, i didn't give it 'the old college' try; probably only elementary school! Hoping you have a taste a winter soon...but be careful what you wish for. I was doing the same wintery wishful dance, and we got a thin coating of ice, with more ice predicted tonight. I should have been more specific while wishing!!!

karen said...

you are really good at it! Gosh they are both beautiful!

Juliann said...

Oh spinning - I dream of that craft in my someday dreams.

Nicky said...

I feel the same way about spinning. It's the crafty activity that took me through 2020. Your spinning looks lovely and don't worry too much about consistency, it'll come to you through practice.

Jane said...

Enjoy your spinning. The yarn looks so pretty.

Mary said...

I am so enjoying your spinning (vicarious seems to be a favorite word right now :-) ... love watching you make lovely yarn!

AsKatKnits said...

I love every single thing about this! YES, spinning is so meditative! If I am stressed, all I need to do is sit down at my wheel for a few moments and calm is restored! (And your spinning looks beautiful!!)

Mereknits said...

You have done some amazing work, the yarn is gorgeous!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)