Wednesday, July 8, 2020

KNITTING WEDNESDAY









The heat here is oppressive! That dry heat here under the Rockies keeps me in the house with air conditioner running all day and into the evening! Yes, our humidity is low, but to walk outside, it feels as if my skin is burning to blisters within seconds. Summer, you are my least favorite season!
On the knitting front, finished the Indian summer sweater for my 2 year old guy and he is pleased over the moon with it....today. 
Started a 'Rainbow' sweater for the 4 year old per her request. Both yarns have been in my stash for years and I mean 10+ years. Since COVID has settled in, I have used this (opportunity?) to use what I have. My goal is , I finish 3 articles using stash then I can buy some yarn for one project only! Don't you love the silly rules we knitters make for ourselves, I know I am in good company with my knitting 'rules'.
Since I had finished more than 3 projects, (not all shown here), I went on line and purchased some self stripping sock yarn, from Must Stash. The colors give me hope for fall sock wearing weather.
I picked up 4 books yesterday at the library, curb side pick up only for now.
I was so excited for C J Box ' Long Range, only to realize I had already read this book in April! Such dissapointment for me yesterday!
I then started and completed "A Sin by Any Other Name" by Robert W Lee.
Robert Lee is a nephew of Robert E Lee. 
The book is about racism and Southern life, good and bad! He believes statues of Robert E Lee needs to come down and be buried with the lost cause of the confederacy. Robert W Lee is a minister, now without a church due to his position on these statues. He writes that it is time for reparations for the sin of slavery and for the South to come to terms with the sin of slavery. Only by doing this can the South move toward healing and social justice.

COVID this week has taken me to a low place, a place I have been from fighting from entering for a while. The virus is now out of control with little hope of containing its spread. My anxiety revolves around the leadership from federal gov. is beyond bad, it is advancing such lies regarding how this virus is behaving, giving little to no guidance on how to contain and fight its spread. It feels to me, the citizens of this country are thrown in a deadly pool of virus and being told,'don't worry it will just go away' and oh, by the way we are enacting policies that will make it all most impossible for you to fight the virus. I'm thinking about the long lines for testing, the feds pulling funds for testing, the slow dismantling of the ASA, no evidence base policies in reopening the economy. Just , if you are a trump supporter, hope to see you on the other side, definitely in November , if not a trump supporter, your health and life is dispensable. 
Oh Lord, how much longer?

Joining As Kat Knits

7 comments:

Bonny said...

I do love your bright and cheerful yarns! I caved yesterday and bought some bright self-striping yarn from Must Stash, even though I also had a self-imposed rule about knitting from stash. My horribly morbid thought when I placed the order was that I hope I'm alive long enough to knit it into something for Ryan. It's an awful thing to think that way, but I also watch the steadily increasing numbers with no end in sight and no leadership in sight. Individuals are clearly on their own, and I hope you stay safe and healthy.

Patty said...

Eileen...I get you! I only hope the MAJORITY of folks are ready to move on from this current situation. And now the WHO. How can he just decide these things? I was shopping yarn earlier today but walked away...I don't need more yarn! Sorry to see the heat out there...man is it hot!

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

All the pretty yarn colours! Summer is also my least favourite season - I dread its arrival! I cannot imagine how scary it must feel in the US. Who could have ever imagined it would get to this? I hope you are keeping safe and well.

Jane said...

I have a few of those self-imposed knitting rules myself. Your knits are bright and cheerful. I couldn't agree with you more. This country needs an ethical leader, one who listens to scientists and medical personnel, one who doesn't constantly stir division. It's a frightening time.

Mereknits said...

With the demand to open schools this fall by 45 and my Governor, throwing children and teachers, school staff, bus drivers, school maintenance people, therapists and everyone else to the wolves. Here your lives don't matter so we are going to mandate you go to school. I have hit a new low myself if that is even possible. Yarn helps but is not hear enough to pull us out of this deep hole.

Kym said...

Oh, Eileen. You've just expressed what keeps me awake when I wake up in the middle of the night. (Every night, unfortunately.) Hang in there. We've got to help each other get through this MESS. (And at least we have lovely yarn to look at and hold. . . ) XO

Mary said...

LOVE your knitting projects - especially the rainbow yarn and the striping socks. very cool - and re: the rest, you know you're preachin' to a fellow choir member here! My only encouragement is that rates of infection and death are still relatively low in my zip code. and I mostly stay in my zip code! My "new" rule is that I'm going to use yarn I have (except for the afghan I'd like to make Sam for his birthday). we'll see how long I can last!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)