Wednesday, June 24, 2020

UNRAVELED WEDNESDAY





It's a burst of energy in the MAKING department. First up is the little red sweater knitted last fall for a 4 year old, who wore it camping and got it full of dust, dirt, river water and paint.(don't ask about the paint...uggg). I soaked it for about 30 hours and would you believe, it came out with no paint and clean, clean, clean. 
The variegated yarn is being knitted into a fall sweater for the 2 year old. The yarn colors remind me of 'Indian Summer', a favorite time of year for me. I am religiously using up yarn in my stash during my COVID knitting time/experience. I have had fun pulling out bins of yarn and finding the perfect skien/s for what I have in my mind to knit. Maybe by the fall I will feel the urge to buy some new yarn but for now I am very satisfied with my stash. 
The gold and maroon yarn I frogged from a project 3 years ago. Love the yarn, just not the pattern I had chosen to use the yarn in, I may be having that same issue again! I decided to use this color combo for the Through the Loops Mystery Knit and I am not sure I like my choice. The pattern is amazing, but such contrasting colors, perhaps not. I think maybe 2 color yarns that blend together may have been a better choice for me. I am going to hold off knitting any more on the Mystery shawl and see how it turns out for the other participants. I hate giving up so soon and have had fleeting feelings of failure, then I come to a screeching mind halt and scream, "This is knitting, not a failure but accepting what I like and don't like."  I have never done a Mystery knit before for fear of not liking the end product and using up all that time and material that I could have been making something else that I do like.  Well, first mystery I guess is a bust for me.

The pink and brown quilt is a pattern out of Quilt Mania, that I started a year ago. I had finished 6 squares when I pulled them out 3 weeks ago. It took me all of 4 days to finish the last 24 squares and set in half triangles,( 2 weeks spent finding the magazine with the pattern).  Next the borders will go on, then the machine quilting will commence. 

Books:
Song Yet Sung   *****
I think this is one of the best books I have ever read!
Interesting, I liked the characters and the descriptions of the quilts. The story , so so.

Looking forward to finding some joy in the my next week of COVID life.

Joining Unraveled Wednesday with Kat

8 comments:

Kym said...

Well. You already know that I'm in the same boat regarding the mystery shawl. ;-) It is not a "fail" in any way to stop knitting a project that isn't working for you! You're wise to let it go! Your other projects are lovely -- and that quilt! I just love the colors. It's so calming. :-)

Bonny said...

You've got loads of lovely making here! The quilt is beautiful (and I'm impressed by how well your points match up), and I can't believe you got paint out of the sweater. I like your TTL Mystery Shawl yarns but of course, you know what you like and are the boss of your knitting. I will be looking for Song Yet Sung from the library and hope you find some joy during the next week!

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

I love the quilt. You have certainly been busy. I have both those books on my TBR. Sounds like I better get to Song Yet Sung sooner!

Jane said...

You have lots of projects to choose from - always a good thing in my mind. I love the quilt. It has been quite some time since I've worked on a quilt. I have used some yarn from my stash this year and ordered a little too. And yes, I say we should love what we are knitting. Not finishing a project is just a way to get more money's worth from your yarn.

karen said...

hurray for paint removal! sometimes things work out. You have been busy with creating!! I love all of your projects and admire your productivity!!

Honoré said...

Love your quilt...and I (also - sometimes - a quilter) made a quilt book based on The Last Runaway...t'was fun and I'll try to figure out how to share it one day.I am the queen of UFOs...
Knit and read on!
Cheers~

AsKatKnits said...

Oh boo! I am sorry those yarns are not working for you in the MKAL!


And I am off to find Song Yet Sung! Thank you for the recommendation!

Mary said...

oh I LOVE the quilt! and you know, I'm not sure I know ANYone (well, maybe other than Sarah and Kat?) who are LOVING their MKALs this year ... hum.....

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)