Wednesday, December 21, 2016

LESSONS LEARNED: KNITTING









Knitting and walking, not done at the same time. Oh, I have knitted while walking, but the knitting needs to be mindless, Arne & Carlos patterns are anything but mindless. I finished the hat and it turned out BIG and the pattern has errors. You can read about the hat here.
The Christmas Card sweater has been a challenge too, it's the charts again.
I emailed Arne & Carlos regarding my concerns, they live in Norway.
I was so frustrated with this pattern and ready to frog the entire project. So I decided to walk!
I walked 3 miles over to my favorite MSK and talked with an amazing knitter who ran the numbers, did more math, read and re-read the directions and could not figure out the charts.
Gathering my knitting I walked again, coming up with one last resource before frogging the project. Enter Jeffrey at Wall Of Yarn in Freeport, Il. Stopping in at a bar, ordered a beer and called Jeffrey.
Jeffrey was wonderful-spending 30 minutes on the phone with me...he and I walked through the 
entire pattern and the charts, just when we were considering failure Jeffrey said:" Oh wait, the Norwegian thing". The back needs to be a "mirror image of the front".
Me: "shouldn't the chart do that for me, I'm knitting in the round as the directions say"?
"Plus, where are my steeking stitches"?
Jeffrey: Knit across the front 85 stitches, turn to back and start at beginning of chart again. Forget those "other" stitches on the chart. And waalaa, there are 2 steeking stitches on each side and the pattern/chart works".
The sleeves Jeffrey walked me through, { I would never have figured these out}. Jeffrey did the math and said it should work, I'm trusting Jeffrey. 
When I returned home, I had an email from a women in Vermont whom Arne & Carlos asked to contact me. She had the chart corrections for the hat, but her corrections were wrong. I emailed her back with the correct-rows to be corrected for the hat and poured out my frustrations regarding the sweater. I am sure I will hear from her again today.
My Christmas Card sweater is taking a village to knit. I am excited to learn new things and hope to finish this sweater soon, very soon.
Join me over at

1 comment:

karen said...

sounds like an interesting and complicated knit! I like when I have to think, but not too much thinking ;) Your snowy photos are delightful, we have nothing!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)