Thursday, October 6, 2016

CHANGES



























On the Front Range we are starting to experience our "crazy weather" patterns. Warm Indian summer one day, cold, rain and yes even snow on others days. As they say in Colorado: "wait 5 minutes and the weather will change".
E. and I went on a hike in Rocky Mountain National Park and it was WINDY, COLD and SNOWING ! It was wonderful!!  Once we got in the trees it was perfect hiking weather and so beautiful! We spent the day with my brother and sister-in-law from Chicago and it could not have been more perfect.
My garden is a breathe away from being "put to bed" for the season. I need to find a recipe for all the green tomatoes still on the vine. I have heard green salsa is good, any suggestions are welcomed.
I love Fall for the warm dishes that come back to the table, the comfort food! We had our first stew,(clean the frig) stew with homemade biscuits. So satisfying! I have been trying to make all our food from scratch, it is not as overwhelming as I imagined it would be. We do not have as many choices to snack on, but what is around is fresh, no preservatives and very satisfying.
My days have become very slow days. I walk first thing in the morning, usually 2.5-3.5 miles per walk. I find this helps my thinking and keeps me moving through the day. After my walk and a home cook breakfast, I will clean something that is in need of a good scrub and organize (put away) anything that as accumulated from the day before. Of course their is some knitting and maybe sewing on the agenda, with some reading thrown in for a well rounded day. Dinner is made, more reading before bed and that is how my day runs. Yes there is a lot more done through out the week, canning, gardening, fishing, etc.... 
but these are done when the weather permits and on our schedule. No stress to get "everything" done within a small time frame. 
Having control over ALL my time is taking some getting use to- but it is a GRAND feeling!
Knitting: Cowl 
Reading: Burnt River

2 comments:

Bonny said...

Fall in CO looks lovely, and I'm excited to see it in person when I visit my oldest son in FoCo tomorrow. The pace of your days also sounds incredibly enjoyable. When we get back, my plan for our garden is to gather all the green tomatoes, not-yet-ripe peppers and anything else I can find and make some salsa with my usual recipe. That will just leave a last cutting of chard, put the garden to bed, and let the Brussels sprouts grow until Thanksgiving.

AsKatKnits said...

Wow, fantastic photos! We are close to putting the garden to bed here in Pittsburgh as well - it is a melancholy task every year. I love the ability to go out and pick something fresh to eat!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)