Friday, May 13, 2011

ALARM CLOCKS and RELICS

I'm an early bird, have been for years. I like to get up between 4am and 5am. I get more things done early in the morning and by 4pm I'm done and crying for my pillow by 7pm. 
Crazy my dogs seem to be on the same bedtime schedule but they prefer to sleep in til about 9am. Oh they get up at 3:30am for a trip out to the yard and little chow...{ Eric gets them out in the morning and cooks them an EGG !  He doesn't cook me an egg, I guess I need 4 legs for that kind of treatment.}
Anyway come Spring I do not need to use an alarm clock and I have no choice to sleep in if I wanted to. The reason, I must have a thousand talking birds in my neighborhood and none of them take turns to be heard. They all TALK at the same time.
No they are YELLING at each other.
What could of gone wrong at that hour to be talking in their OUTSIDE voice.
The newspaper man in his "i need a muffler car" came into the hood at about 4:35 this morning and every bird was QUIET until he drove out ! Then loud chatter started up immediately again.
Now were they quiet because they were insulted that something was louder than them or are they afraid of " I need a muffler car"?
WEIRD.


I found this finished quilt top in the closest and decided to finish it with machine quilting.
This is a RELIC
[1. Something that has survived the passage of time, especially an object or custom whose original culture has disappeared.
2. Something cherished for its age or historic interest.
3. An object kept for its association with the past; a memento.]
[Number 3 defines this quilt].


this is one of my first real quilt top, meaning one of the first quilt top that I made after taking a 'how to make a quilt" class at the FIG. You know the kind of "how to" one that I have to pay for so I was sure to show up.
Before the [HTMQC] I would cut up old sheets, clothes, clothes I borrowed from Mean Maureen and never returned [ she deserved this unkind act ], old blankets for batting and just kinda put all this together the best I could.
My male siblings went through college with these creations and they kept them plenty warm in those COLD mid-west winters.
I like to think that my before [HTMQC] helped these boys get up for their classes thus ensuring their graduation.
See they couldn't spend much time under these quilts, without a feeling of suffocation seeping into their dreams.  Those quilts were heavy and nothing like the feeling that your rib cage is collapsing on itself as an incentive to get a body up. But I did not know how serious a problem this was { I was not an "official" nurse yet} and in my family if one was given a gift, one was not to complain but to endure QUIETLY.
Back to the RELIC, I know this is an early creation of mine because not all the corners match up within my millimeters rule.{ this rule is becoming a loose rule as I age}.
Also I would be very hard press to use a teal in a quilt of mine made in the last 20 years, 
{ my eyes are not THAT bad yet }.


I'm enjoying quilting this quilt as it reminds me of a youthful time. A time when I had 3 young children, work, home, husband and still found time to do something I have a passion for........QUILTING.{ That last sentence: the light bulb just went on.....no wonder I am so tired and have an early bedtime. How did we do it all}?

Enjoy your day and if you have time today.....quilt an old RELIC.
It is guarantee to bring back warm memories.
[ and a few giggles]


PS: my dogs are snoring.......and they are such young things [ insert giggles here ].

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I was hand quilting yesterday on my
antique ocean wave and it felt so good.

Creations by Dina said...

Now that I can post a comment, I have a question for you. My mom cleaned out my grandmother's house who is 90 years old. She had to go to assissted living. My mom found an old quilt top. I think it was a scrap quilt, I will have to ask her again. She wanted to get it cleaned and then finish the quilt. Any suggestions on how to do it. I have done some quilting but I am by no means an expert!!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)