Wednesday, March 17, 2021

SPRING SNOW IN THE ROCKIES and some KNITTING.


Best Pecan Bar I have had in years.
(as you can see, I ate most of it before I thought to take a picture)


Little Oaks Sweater
the girl loves it, though I need to get some buttons.


Autumn Blocks Cardigan was a fun knit till I got to the sleeves. Then pattern reads; increase 2st 
 every 5/8'. Oh , and stay in pattern---but no info where to start 10st repeat pattern so everything meets up 'in line' for the yoke. After several attempts and grafting out pattern, not to mention hair pulling and messaging a knitting podcaster in Norway for advice. She messaged me right back, which I appreciated and said ' I had to imagine it in my head and go from there.' What????
 I think I figured it out and off I went, so far I think it will work, but the proof will be when I get to the yoke. 
I love European patterns because they give minimal information, unlike some American patterns that can be 20 pages long, with way TMI,  that only confuses the knitter....me.  But, I would have appreciated a little more info on the sleeves for this pattern. I do feel a little like I can now do any pattern or I will when -and if the yoke works! 

Scandinavian Sweater Book


Another small top finished that has been sitting on the shelf for to many long....years. 
I have one more finished top that has been hanging around for years that I hope to have done next month. My hope is to get through these finished tops and start making more NEW tops. I have a thing for running fabric through a sewing machine.....so relaxing.


Snow pictures taken early Sunday morning before the Blizzard really turned up the snow dial.






 We survived the Spring  Blizzard here on the Front Range. When it was all said and done I believe we got around 30" of wet heavy snow. The blizzard ended Sunday night and by Monday afternoon already so much had melted, being sunny and in the low 40's. The above picture is Tuesday morning and the snow is melting fast. The city did come through and plow our street Tuesday morning at zero dark thirty, plowing frozen snow/ice into our truck, as well as blocking our driveway with a wall of ice snow. We dug that out early on Tuesday wearing t-shirts, again sun out and temps rising. We have more snow, (so they are saying) coming in tonight and then again early next week, nothing big, just an inch or so......
I do love the fickleness of Colorado Spring weather and find it entertaining listening to all the folks that have spent little time in this great state complain about the late season snows. Ha, wait till they experience a blizzard in the middle of May, and yes I have been through a couple of those too. These snows is what fills our rivers and reservoirs, water that will be much needed during the summer. 
I hope to see a couple more snow drops, measurable snows come through before summer turns on the heat.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Though I've never been to Colorado, I have always heard about the big snowstorms that are followed by warm temps in a day or two. I could totally live with regularly getting several feet in one storm if that snow then melted quickly!

The Little Oak sweater is adorable. I've really got to find the one of me and my daughter wearing our coordinating ones to show you.

Kym said...

The best thing about winter snowstorms . . . is that the snow doesn't usually stick around for very long. I hope yours all melts away quickly, and "real" spring arrives soon. And I really love that "grid" sweater - which will be gorgeous! But holy-moly! Having to figure out how the stitches will line up for the yoke-joining???? Yikes! You are a hardy knitter, for sure. (Can't wait to see it all come together.)

Mereknits said...

The snow is actually quite beautiful, of course that is being said from Florida where it was 84 degrees today. I am so impressed you stuck with the block pattern on the sleeves, I think I would have called it a day and knit it all in a solid. Good luck and stay safe.

Jane said...

Heavens that sounds like a lot of scooping but I know Colorado needs the snow. That grid sweater is beautiful but wow I'm not sure I could wrap my head around those directions either. I hope it works out for you.

Mary said...

I am so happy to enjoy March snow vicariously this year :-) and did an "oh ugh" in solidarity about that Autumn Blocks ... I like to knit when I knit - I'm ok thinking a little bit (counting stitches, checking math, etc.) ... matching up that pattern looks like a LOT of thinking!

karen said...

I'm hoping all that snow has melted by now!! That quilt top is gorgeous! I love when a project sits around for too long and then poof we are motivated to get it done.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)