Wednesday, September 9, 2020

EARTH, WIND and FIRE





Hmmm.....my fire  and ash snowing pictures will not load to blogger, hmmm.
Labor Day Weekend here on the Front Range was long, hot, smoke fill, ash snowing, sun blocked out dark and well---just very concerning. Monday morning opening the drapes, the outside looked apocalyptic, not a bird in the sky and nor a chirp could be heard, so quiet and orangie dark! With city lights on all through the day and temps in town hung out at 60 degrees, while all around us it was 93 degrees. This is what being under a smoke plume from a major forrest fire is like. Friday night, the fire started expanding but still not out of control, with the hot, dry , windy conditions by Monday morning the fire exploded and took a ten mile run on all three sides, roaring down the canyon (east), bursting into Rocky Mountain National Park (south), and threatening the Red Feathers area (north). Alerts were beeping every 5-30 minutes to evacuate these area "now" and the Voluntary Evacuation lines being widely extended. A cold front was pushing in with winds 50 miles/hour pushing this fire, which has so much beetle kill timber for fuel to burn. By midnight the temps were really dropping and it started to rain lightly thru the night, around 5 am snow was falling.....thank you Jesus! It snowed on and off all day and will continue til late morning Wednesday, with temps staying cold, 29Deg tonight. This is much needed time for the fire fighters to regroup, bring in more resources and get lines around this monster and go on the offense. { rest assured, Fort Collins is in NO danger}, this fire is in the high country/foot hills, however their are several thousand homes in these areas that are being threaten, 100+K acres is approx. 102 sq. miles that has burned. Thankfully no life has been lost.  This week the temps will slowly climb into the high 80's, with drying conditions. Praying for fire containment and early snows to come into the Northern Front Range.

Sunday, I did manage to finish 2 dresses for the kids but no knitting done this past week. After Monday and the apocalyptic atmosphere,  by Tuesday I was exhausted. Soup was made and that was it!
Oh 2020 I am ready to see you in the rear view mirror.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so happy for the rain and snow you've gotten. I hope it continues and helps to put out those fires!

Kym said...

I lived in Cheyenne for a time growing up, and lived in Fort Collins while Tom was in grad school at CSU. We NEVER had heat or fires like y'all have these days back then (70s and 80s). It was unfathomable! (Although we did occasionally have September snow. . . ) What craziness. Absolute craziness. (My sister is still in Cheyenne. Although she hasn't had to deal with the smoke - yet - she's been keeping me updated on the weather.) Sending all the good juju.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The wildfires are scary. I am glad you are safe there and that the rain/snow came at the right time. God Bless all the firefighters, I hope no one was hurt. Take care, enjoy your day! PS, thanks for visiting my blog.

Bonny said...

Monday was a bit exhausting and I was 1700 miles away from the fire! The explosive growth was worrying but thank heavens the snow and rain materialized. I know there is still a long way to go, and I have a profound respect for all those involved in fighting the fire in difficult terrain. With all that beetle-killed timber, high winds, and your endless days of hot, dry weather this summer, this was inevitable. Take care, stay safe, and I'm also hoping for early snow and lots of it this winter.

steph said...

I am so happy our paths have reconnected, too....I lost so many virtual friends when I changed blogging platforms; that, and of course, after no blogging for quite awhile after Freddy died. I didn't realize how much of a driving force that little dog was on my creative spirit! Shira is trying her best to step in, but she's an old girl!!

The crazy thing, I have another relatively new friend in Ft. Collins (photographer Cole Thompson) ....and a mutual friend that he and I share....(Dr. Dick Hutson). I was just talking to Cole and he was sharing exactly what you just wrote about....I thought things were crazy with covid, but it's obviously even crazier for all of you in the fire and snow.

Please stay safe...I think maybe I'll stop wishing for snow.

sustainablemum said...

That sounds incredibly scary, wildfires are not at all common here in the UK, when I hear about them on the news it is hard to imagine what it must be like for them to come so close. I do hope your continue to stay safe.

Jane said...

Take good care. I am with you - I'd like to kick 2020 right out the door. Sending prayers your way.

Patty said...

I've been thinking about you during this and am happy to hear Ft. Collins is okay. Scary stuff.

Mary said...

Y'all are in my prayers. I cannot even imagine ... and I smiled (well, laughed somewhat hysterically because I remember camping in the Snowy Range over Labor Day weekend and waking up to SNOW on our tent) about the snow on Tuesday. Sure hope it's helped!

karen said...

I hope your are safe and sound. I would be so worried!!

Mereknits said...

I am so glad you are safe. The fires everywhere out west are just so horrific.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)