Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Yarn Along 1-2018




Hello Yarn Along, how I have missed you! Thank you Ginny, for bringing back a favorite group for sharing and meeting other people who like to read and knit!

Here is some of what I have been up to -

Reading: Cold Hearted River by Keith McCafferty. It’s a murder mystery involving a fly fishing guide in West Yellowstone Montana. I got hooked on this author while camping in YSNP and this guy can’t write books fast enough for me.

Listening to: Prairie Fire. This book was on the top ten in the New York Times paper. I'm not sure I like it. The author spends a lot of time blaming the Ingalls, (Little House on the Prairie) for many of the problems caused by the west ward expansion. I believe those problems, and their were many, were caused by the US Government horrible treatment of the American Indians, not because the Ingall's family.

Knitting: Elizabeth Zimmerman’s  Guernsey sweater using the EPS. It is a challenge, having to trust my math and measurements, oh dear. I am at the arm gussets and have had to refer to two  books on how to do these gussets. I wanted a challenge and now I have one.

Looking forward to see what everyone else is reading and knitting…oh happy day, what a great way to start off the New Year!

Linking up with Ginny and Yarn Along. Please join us...you will not regret it ;-}

14 comments:

Ruby said...

I am intrigued by your reading selection! Will have to check that out as I was actually born in what Laura called "The Big Woods" in Wisconsin. I am extremely excited as well that the Yarn Along is back!

Emily said...

I was wondering if I should read Prairie Fires....thanks for making my decision for me! (Big fat NOPE)

Erica Saint said...

Oh, the mystery book sounds interesting! Happy knitting!

Ravenna said...

Looks like an interesting book. :) Happy New Year.

Cheryl said...

I've always wanted to knit one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's patterns. The element of having to do the maths is intriguing. Hope the arm gussets are not too problematic. I'm glad the Yarn-Along is back too.

Peggy said...

Hi new to your blog love it thanks Reading "Clifton Chronicles" and knitting a scarf by Italian designer for my husband for his birthday(he is Italian)

Tanya @ Ever After Cottage said...

I'd like to learn to knit using only measurements this year, but the prospect right now seems a little daunting, so I stick with the patterns all written out. What do you think of the book in your photo? Is it a big help? Would it be a good resource on its own?

elizabeth said...

that's neat!!!

Deborah said...

I read all the Little House books when I was in 5th grade and loved them. They were just one family moving west. The problems were much deeper than one family could cause.

Unknown said...

Your reading selection sounds interesting! And I love what I have read of EZ's patterns. They are written in such an interesting way. I haven't ever braved one though- kudos to you!

karen said...

you can never go wrong with EZ patterns - I love how she makes you think when you create a sweater :)

Sarah said...

That is so fascinating that he tries to pin the problems on the one family and I wholeheartedly agree that the problems were much much deeper than that. (I do, however, struggle as an adult to read the Little House books without some anger in places over the attitudes and worldview they embody that so many people seem to somehow miss.)
Beautiful knitting, EZ is a delight.

Karen Sue said...

Haven't read a good mystery in a while. My son likes to fly fish.. sounds good. I've missed yarn along, too. Looked back through you last few posts. Great quilt and quilting, too! Looking forward to keeping up with you here.

Kristin said...

Someone else on the yarn along (on Instagram) is reading Prairie Fire! I had to double check to make sure it wasn't you (hello deja vu!). I'm really interested in reading this book now that I've seen it twice in the past few days. Happy reading and knitting!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)