Saturday, November 20, 2021

THANKSGIVING WEEK


Singer 401




Halloween 2021


Some serious typing


Day of the Dead


First Trick or Treating






 Lately it seams to take me awhile to write here, not sure if it is because I feel not much is going on in my life. My husband and I don't exactly live an exciting life and the little we do, do out and about has been curtailed by COVID. Our numbers are so high in the county that the Feds. have sent in health care workers to man the ICU's and ER's! That's a first, not sure what it's going to take to convince people that this is serious! Get vaccinated! Betty, has missed more school than she has been in- due to COVID outbreaks in her class. So far she has avoided the virus and now has her first vaccination completed. Gus, his school too, has COVID and RSV. Schools closed early for the Holidays due to low staff , stress and illness. Sure hope the hospitals don't take this route, but then the Feds. are here to help and the kids while home so much have graduated from 'med school', they are ready to do their part. I got my booster, Mederna and I think I will be switching to Phizer from now on. Merderna kicks my butt, worth the trouble if my only choice, but I can get Phizer and get the same results...IMMUNITY.

I did go to a couple of Flea Markets, and I am a real sucker for vintage sewing machines. And this Singer 401 is a gem and only $50. I also bought not one, but TWO Remington Typewriters for $60. These typewriters are running about $175. around here. I know that's crazy.  I like to send snail mail and my sister and I have written letters to each other for years, sometimes several a week and other times once a month, but we write. I also joined some snail mail groups (yes, they are actually a thing!) I love opening a letter and not junk mail. I don't even get bills in the mail anymore due to banking auto bill payer, not that I'm complaining-don't care for bills, though dislike junk mail more.

We haven't had the kids since Halloween, but are going to make up time this week...it's PIE season at the shop. I believe they will be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 pies for Thanksgiving. And....that means the kiddos will be here everyday till Thursday when we all gather for a Thanksgiving dinner at the shop. Caitlin decided that dinner will be at the shop where we can all spread out more, yet be together. Eric and I are in charge of the mash potatoes,( I am Irish after all).  Looking forward to a smaller Thanksgiving feast and a return to some normalcy.

Knitting has been a hit and a miss, hats a hit, fair isle sweater is a miss thus far. Gauge correct but size wrong...oye vey.  Also working on Felix Sweater, a gift a think. And the Tess shawl, this is just a long knit. Some sewing going on and I did take a class on 'fixing the Serger' and mine is running like a dream.

Books: Mrs. Lincoln's Sisters.  
Mary Lincoln I find a very interesting American Women, very misunderstood and a women with many sides. She also dealt with some mental health issues that were misunderstood in the late 19th century.   

The Taking of Jemima Boone.
I have just started this book, lots of history.. American Indian history. True American History really needs to be taught in school or we will never get past our 'White Privilege!' The TRUTH, why are white people so afraid of it?

Fall is waning here in Northern Colorado, our first measurable snow happened early this week and it was a welcome sight. Fall has been beautiful this year, a little on the warm side but the colors -beautiful.
Hope your Thanksgiving is peaceful and everything you need it to be this year.

8 comments:

Juliann said...

I would love to have a typewriter! I don’t know of any flea markets around here but I might look online or drop a hint to hubby since he is really good at finding things online.
And I need to know more about the snail mail group please.

Sarah said...

I, too, would love to have a typewriter! There's nothing quite like the sound of typing on one.

I hope that you get to enjoy some of those hundreds of pies -- at the very least, you'll be surrounded by the smell of them when you sit down to dinner!

AsKatKnits said...

That typewriter is really awesome! (as is that sewing machine!)

I hear you on Hit or Miss knitting... oh boy!

Kym said...

I learned to sew on a Singer JUST LIKE THAT! :-)
And I so wish I'd never gotten rid of my old typewriter . . . It would be a lot of fun to have around now.
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week. XO

Stephanie said...

Oh, that lovely vintage sewing machine! I wouldn't have passed that up, either.

It's so hard watching other people not take this pandemic seriously. We're starting to relax just the tiniest bit- we'll be having Thanksgiving with my in-laws, where all the adults will be vaccinated and boostered (except me, I get my booster the next day!), and the two kids that will be there have already had vaccine #1. This is our first family get-together since the pandemic started, and numbers are pretty good in our area, at least good enough for us to feel comfortable doing this. But it's still a little scary! The people who aren't vaccinated but still acting like everything is normal...I truly don't understand it.

Have fun with those new typewriters! They make such satisfying clacking and dinging sounds. :) Where on earth do you find new ribbons for those?

Mary said...

I am so intrigued by the typewriter(s) - my grandfather had one and used it for all of his correspondence. He ended his letters Love, Granddaddy - and he'd write his name in the big space he left between Love and Granddaddy and I thought it was so funny that he ended up writing "Love, Granddaddy Granddaddy" I visited for a couple of weeks the summer I was 13 and had a great time at the typewriter (my mom had a typewriter but she wouldn't let me use it until I took typing, and that must've happened the following year) ... I still have recipes I typed, copied from my grandmother's recipe cards. I SO WISH I'd asked my grandmother to copy them so I had them in her handwriting, but I guess I have my grandfather's "handwriting" and that's special too.

karen said...

I remember typewriters! I could never approach the accuracy that the sisters who taught me wanted. Oh well, now we have computers and it's negligible. Happy thanksgiving!!!

Jane said...

That Singer looks a little like the one my grandmother sewed on for years. All the parts were metal and boy do I wish we had hung onto it. I went to college with a blue Smith Corona or was it Corolla? typewriter. Typing term papers with carbon paper took me for-ever and many bottles of correction fluid. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)