Saturday, October 12, 2019

FIRST SNOW


my oldest son and his beautiful wife! aren't they amazing!











First Snow is always magical for me! Getting the outside tucked in for winter, cooking in the kitchen a great cold weather meal, and most of all, no anxiety about driving on ice roads, ( I get to stay home all day and everyday now.) Mercy though it was COLD and WINDY along with snow. The Front Range had the biggest temperature change in years, 50 degree swing! One afternoon it's 80 degrees and the next morning it's less than 30 degrees. One notices that shift and runs for the sweaters, wool socks and slippers. 

The day before I pulled more veggies from the garden and apples from the tree. Oh my, those carrots are unbelievably sweet and we ate several in a chicken soup-stew dinner. 
The bread is a recipe from the New York Times-no knead bread. I believe it's a Mark Bittman recipe. I let it rise for about 18 hours, the rich flavor is over the moon.

I have a new project this month, cutting my food bill by about 800 dollars a month. This includes  no, to very little eating out  and using up left overs. We get lazy around here about 4pm daily and often that laziness leads to restaurant meals. I may not meet my goal but sure will decrease the food bill this month. So far:  Week 1 - Cosco=243.00, (grr), but it will be our only Cosco visit this month.

I have been staying up later, a deliberate act, watching movies.
Mary Queen of Scots (2018)- excellent
Midway- always good
Operation Finale-excellent

Plans for my weekend? Not sure, but  I am sure it will include knitting, reading and a movie, (oh, and cooking dinner!")

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have followed your blog for awhile - glad to see you are back. We moved to NOCO 2 years ago and love it. I’m a knitter and quilter too.

Mereknits said...

They are a beautiful couple and so is that sweet little one. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Bonny said...

Nothing like the first snow to make you want to bake bread and feel cozy indoors! I complained about all the blanching and freezing of garden produce I did this summer, but now I'm glad to have a freezer full of peas, beans, and tomatoes. Our garden is in MD, so we've got second plantings of peas and beans in just to see what we get, and tomatoes are still slowly ripening. I'm going to give that bread a try!

karen said...

please let me know how you do the food challenge! We eat out once or twice a week and I'd love to decrease that BUT I hate to cook .... there lies the challenge!!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)