Thursday, April 22, 2010

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN

April is the time of year that the businesses of the county I live in have a little competition with each other. And the FOOD BANK is the recipient. Yes, it is the yearly food drive!

I work for the hospital in town that competes in this Food Drive. I also happen to work in the OR of said hospital that takes competition to a level that shall we say borders on an illness. We believe that endeavors should be done right, perfect, and our way, the only way. That means we will go over the top and WIN the Food Drive competition. Now the sickness of this competition is that no one else in the hospital knows we are competing with them. This is the brilliance of the steering committee in the OR. It keeps the competitive hormones at a frenzy level in the OR that is beneficial for the Food Bank. Imagine the baking hormonal frenzy on the level of the Elk Bugling season. That’s us, get the picture. You ask "what about those that aren't bakers"? When hired in the OR one of the job requirements is the ability to BAKE. If one’s baking skills are in need then it is strongly advised to sign up for some classes. It is always best to be hired in May so one can fine-tune these necessary OR skills.

Friday April 23 is the annual Bake Sale in the OR. We have a great turn out and raise an amazing amount of money for the Food Bank.

Being on the steering team I made a mistake this year that could of put my job on the line. I have reduced my hours to part-time (my boss has renamed me “the bitch”), and scheduled myself off for 6 days. The bake sale fell with-in this six-day holiday, and I was hoping no one would notice. BIG, big mistake!!!! Today, day one of my holiday I am at home baking 12 loafs of bread for tomorrow. Yes, I am happily grinding local wheat, dancing to Peace Train, Home, and a whole lot of Feist. I have my apron on and am barefoot in the kitchen with a smile on my face secure in my baking abilities and job. It is great to be Alive and working in the OR!!!!!


The first batch resting

Six loaves out of the oven


12 loaves done, I'm tired. The most I have ever made in one day.

Bagged, labeled and ready for sale.

Let the games begin.

My puppies have spent allot of time by themselves and have done nothing but get into trouble. Better go get after them now.

No comments:

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)