Wednesday, February 1, 2023

JANUARY...THE BEST










Tuesday E and I went 30 minutes east of us to a Post Office (tiny one) to get new passports. I was kinda nervous and why I have no idea, it wasn’t like we would show up on the FBI 10 most wanted list, I have never even had a speeding ticket( E has). It was all so easy and our pictures actually turned out good. After submitting all the paperwork ( we took along every legal document proving who we are and that we are US citizens) and paying a rather LARGE fee we walked out free as birds and hungry. We stopped in the towns’ local cafe, Gray’s, a authentic small town greasy spoon sorta a place filled with local ole’ timer ranchers and the decor pure gun loving conservative dye in the wool GOP (trump) supporters. Listening to the conversation E and I just smiled and ate. The food was great and the place entertaining if not a bit weird. We did say on the way home “I eat there again” though.


January, where did it go? We had an ‘eat through the freezer and pantry’ month here, grocer shopping only to buy fresh produce and milk. I am happy to say our January food bill totaled $73.06. I had set a budget for $100. It was easy too and though we made very little of a dent in the big freezer,  the freezer upstairs I can see the bottom of the drawers. February we will continue are freezer/pantry eat down but we do need to stock up on a few things to continue this winter project.

 

I have a quilt retreat coming up and am busy cutting out two large quilt top patterns to sew up in 3 days of quilt heaven. 1) Soldiers Cross(civil war pattern) and 2) Shoo Fly pattern. I am a reproduction quilter and can’t make enough.


The cardigan my DIL is wearing -Felix cardigan, knit in Nutiden Yarn from Honerocheir in Sweden. Love the yarn, single plied. Wasn’t overly thrilled with the service but I may order more at some time.


I belong to a Featherweight sewing  machine group and a women told me as a resident of Colorado I can get an Ecard to just about any library in the state, I now have an Ecard to the Denver Library! So many books to look through and no or little wait time. 

Books Completed-

The Churchill Sisters(Rachel Trethewey)-  excellent

Founding Mothers(Cokie Roberts)-excellent

The First Conspiracy(Brad Seltzer)- very good

February will be a good book month I feel.


My rug hooking project is so close to being done. Maybe it will be a PJ day to finish.


-20 this morning! 



Please join Kat at



 

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Nothing like having to fill out a bunch of official forms and pay a large fee to make you feel a bit like a criminal, is there?

I'm super impressed by your grocery bill. I'm sorry to say we spend well more than that every week, but I do not have your canning skills. We did eat a couple of meals from the freezer, but I have a couple of people in my house who aren't very thrilled with what they view as leftovers.

Juliann in WA said...

Shoo Fly and churn dash are my favorite quilt blocks - hmmm, time for a new quilt? And passports? Travel plans?

Kym said...

Your nearly-complete rug hooking project is DIVINE! I love every thing about it -- the design, the colors, the texture! I'm glad your passport adventure went off without a hitch. Always nice to get that out of the way . . . Here's to a great February!

Jane said...

Brr. -20 is quite bitter cold. I have always enjoyed the traditional quilt blocks and the reproduction fabrics. The sweater looks very cozy. I am making an attempt to cook some meals with what's in the pantry. My daughter told me about a website where you plug in ingredients on hand and it spits out a bunch of recipes. Sounds like a good idea to me although the same thing can be done with a google search.

AsKatKnits said...

Beautiful quilt squares! But that sweater! Gorgeous!

And great reading this month! XO

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)