Tuesday, August 18, 2020

KEEPING IT SIMPLE while THE WORLD IS ON FIRE












The kiddos were here on the weekend and I came up with an art project that, 1) they loved and 2) lasted most of the morning....BINGO that's a win! I had used up some fabric on a few bolts and hated to just toss the cardboard , so I decided to put them on the table with a bunch of art supplies and said 'go for it'. 'Go for it' they did, what started as making -'people board's' went to pure unrestricted artistic expression. I love that kind of kid art! Let them run with imagination.

We have a GIANT fire burning about 50 miles up the canyon from us and the smoke is awful! It has been blocking out the sun for days, some days worse than others. So besides for COVID reasons, we are locked inside our homes due to the thick smoke. Oy Vey, what else is 2020 going to throw at us?

A few projects that I have completed are:
--sweater for Gus
---rainbow socks that I am keeping for me
---the disaster quilt for Gus
I call it the disaster quilt because of all the mistakes in the quilt. One would think- this is the first quilt I have ever made and I have close to about 150 under my sewing belt. One thing that I finally cried "uncle" on -is my straight edge ruler. It must be 15-20 years old and has few markings  left on it that I can read and the edge is all gouged and nicked. I ordered a new one! If Disaster quilt was not going to little Gus I would of thrown it out. It almost landed in the trash several times but I thought, Gus is just going to drag it through the dirt, stomp on it and use in fort building....well now, it may just be perfect for him. Betty saw it and thought it was so "beautiful" and asked if it was for her?
Me: no Honey this is for Gus.
Betty: But Mimi, Gus does not SHARE! 
Betty:  I know, You can make me one too!
Me: Of course I will!
The quilt is made from scraps and I mean true scraps. I have buckets of small scrappy quilt fabrics. I can't bear to throw out fabric, it's expensive and I can always make something from the scraps. 

I'm anxiously awaiting a Di Ford -BOM quilt and book to arrive, it will be the first Di Ford quilt for me. Lots of piecing, (so glad I ordered that new ruler), and some appliquéing, best of both worlds. 
Also on the agenda is a Hexie Quilt that will be done by hand! Hope I live long enough to complete this beautiful quilt, another quilt inspired by Di Ford.
Presently, I am machine quilting the Brown and Pink Reproduction Quilt. 

Reading:
The Good Lord Bird by James Mc Bride
Caste by Isabel Wilkerson
Needled to Death by Maggie Sefton

11 comments:

steph said...

what a grand art project!!!!! AND a sincere request for a grandma quilt? What could be better?

Juliann said...

I love that art project and have plenty of cardboard here so I will add that to my list for the days when my grandson visits. And funny you would mention that ruler. I was just thinking I need a new o e because I can’t find the 45 degree angle mark anymore.

karen said...

art projects that last all morning long is a big win! Sorry about the distant fire creating smoke and blocking the sun, I haven't experienced that. Lovely quilt and all I can say is what mistakes???

Kym said...

The quilt doesn't look ANYTHING like a disaster from my vantage point! It looks fun and charming and wonderful. (Plus made with Grandma-love and commitment, which goes a very long way!) Lovely projects all around -- and those smiling faces enjoying their "arting" are balm for the soul. XO

Mary said...

What cool art the kiddos made! ...and I think your knitting AND quilting looks fantastic. Di Ford was a new term for me ... whoa, that's a rabbit hole! (I wonder if Honoré's made any of her patterns? it sure looks like something she'd tackle!) - can't wait to hear what you think about Good Lord Bird. It's on my list!

Mary said...

What cool art the kiddos made! ...and I think your knitting AND quilting looks fantastic. Di Ford was a new term for me ... whoa, that's a rabbit hole! (I wonder if Honoré's made any of her patterns? it sure looks like something she'd tackle!) - can't wait to hear what you think about Good Lord Bird. It's on my list!

sprite said...

What is the rainbow sock yarn? It's so pretty and cheerful!

Patty said...

So many cool things here! (Except for that fire of course.) Those socks are just the best. Lucky kiddos there...what a great project...and it's good to be Betty! :-)

Mereknits said...

I am sending positive thoughts your way that those fires go out soon. It is a disaster out there. But so little of the news is about the fires and all the destruction. I personally think disaster quilt is beautiful, he is going to love it. Stay safe.

Jane said...

The quilt looks darling to me. I love open ended art projects. It looks like the kiddos had a ball. And of course you can make Betty a quilt. I still quilt but haven't kept up with all the latest patterns and technology. Two winter's ago I bought a new plexiglass ruler with a non-slip type of back. I bought it from a local quilt shop and thought it was expensive. It has been worth every penny. My rotary cutting is much more accurate.

Sarah said...

You may call it a disaster, but I think the quilt is wonderful! Granted, I am not a quilter and am no expert, but anything that is colorful and happy is a win in my book!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)