Saturday, September 26, 2009

QUILT A-FAIR


Quilt A-Fair was this past weekend, and as usual I was a little disappointed. Oh they had about 4 booths that I really liked, of course they were either scrap quilts or reproductions of old quilts. So much of what I saw was big, big blocks with ugly colors. I know, I know, I really like the traditional quilts. I did like this quilt from a store out of Oklahoma. It is very "french" looking with the ruffled sashing, however I saw it last year at this quilt show in the same booth.
See what I mean, nothing new.
Bonnie Blue from Texas had a wonderful booth. I loved the Irish chain quilt set with a dark blue background. Yes I bought the pattern, it meets 2 of my quilting criteria . One, it is made with small scraps of fabric and two, it is a traditional pattern that is simply beautiful.


Liberty had a beautiful booth also. Again traditional patterns, however the blocks were sized quite small and the finished quilt was smaller than anything that could be used in a practical manner.
Most of her quilts were on a background of tea dyed cotton. The colors I loved as well as the patterns. She would not allow any photos, stating she did not want anyone to copy her patterns.
I certainly understand her not wanting to be copied but her patterns were all old traditional blocks that she just made smaller. She copied the original blocks herself. So why the big deal about taking pictures?
After I left the quilt show I went to one of my favorite quilt stores "Little Wool Shop" for a huge sale. I know,I do not NEED any more fabric but I WANT MORE fabric . And I bought allot of fabric too, 40 yards to be exact!



No comments:

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)