Monday, September 7, 2015

PLANT YARN DYING




On our way home from Yellowstone, my husband made an abrupt stop on the side of the road. Not an easy thing to do when pulling a 25 foot trailer, oh no! I could not for the life of me figure out what possessed him to pull over like a man on a mission. Well, the reason was to cut for me some tumble weed blossoms, ( not sure if this is what it is really called, but a pretty yellow flower along the highway, mixed in with tumbleweeds). He cut about 3/4 of a large bucket full, slicing his hand all the while ;-(.

Today ,was my day, to plant dye some yarn. I have never done this before, but how hard can reading directions be? It is a long process all the cleaning, boiling flower heads, boiling mordant, boiling yarn in mordant, and the finally-boiling yarn the solution from boiling flower heads. My color turned out to be a lovely honey/yellow!

This was fun, playing with flowers, yarn and pretending I understood the chemistry. I have ordered 
Harvesting Color, that was recommended by ginny sheller over at Small Things.
For some bizarre reason, this plant dying yarn appeals to me. I in no way need another hobby, but I grow a garden and love flowers, so why not?
I wonder what kale would do or crab apples?

Happy Monday
It’s back to work for me in the morning ;-0)


2 comments:

Kyle said...

Looks like a new way to have fun!

Karen Sue said...

This is a great color! I've never dyed yarn, but if I did, this would be one of my favorite colors! I've some yarn that could be dyed, but I'm not brave enough to try it!

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)