Friday, September 25, 2015

OLD and NEW









It has been a very satisfying day. I continue to tidy up i.e.: get rid of stuff,  picking one closet,  a room, a theme at a time and dive down deep into the “ OMG I can’t believe I have saved this” to “ I have way too much stuff”!
Today 130 books were boxed, 120 VHS’s were boxed and moved out of the house. I realize I am still on the peak of the clutter iceberg but one has to start somewhere and the best place for me is where I am at today!
I also mordant 750 gms of yarn that will be dyed next week. I find it soothing  to wash, mordant and dye yarn. This is surprising to me since their is so many steps to naturally dying yarn. Perhaps it is soothing because I understand I can not skip steps and it is a long process!
Fall is in the air, I hear it when the wind breezes through the trees. That rustling of drying leaves…be still my heart. Hard to believe it is the end of September and more days than I care to mention are still close to 90 degrees.
The kitchen scale that I picked up years ago in a flea market is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. It measure in grams and I use it all the time. Measuring out mordant (alum) from NUTs.com to measuring ingredients for soap making. I have another “modern” digital scale with measurements in ounces for baking, but it has no character like my  old whitey does!
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a lovely scale. Would love to have one like that. Can't wait to see the yarn dyed!

Linda said...

I LOVE that scale!! I would adore having one like it! I did finally get a kitchen scale this year - for weighing yarn before certain projects. Best investment!
I want to learn how to dye yarn! One of these days....

Linda in VA

Labels

knitting (209) quilting (158) Family (103) ME (98) Garden (91) Home (82) Sewing (76) Things I love (73) Reading (56) Gratitude (47) simplicity (47) Home Making (42) Winter (42) flowers (35) Holiday (30) Photography (29) Christmas (28) Machine quilting (28) SNOW (28) cooking (28) crochet (26) Vacation (25) canning (20) Camping (15) China (13) Clothes line (11)